It is OFFicial...the OFF season is upon us! Time to get your cross country skis waxed, get an Adirondack hike in and bake! With the cooler temps it is a great opportunity to work on those recipes for the racing season. One of my favorites is the Pangburn Power Bar. Many thanks to my mom, Judy, for making these during most of my General Clinton Races. Over the years I have perfected my Pangburn Power Bars and they have been consumed by the elite in the triple crown races.... 5 out of 4 paddlers recommend! ;-)
Pangburn Power Bar (Miranda's Recipe)
You can certainly create your own recipe, but this is how I make them.
1/2 C Butter (softened)
1/2 C Brown Sugar (not packed)
1/4 C Granulated Sugar
2 t Vanilla
1 1/2 C Flour
1 t Baking Soda
2 t Cinnamon
1/2 t Salt **
1 C Walnuts **
1 C Sweetened Coconut (shredded) **
1 C Sweetened Dried Cranberries **
1 C Chocolate Chips (cocoa or white chocolate) **
3 C Oats (uncooked)
I don't always eat oats. But when I do, I prefer old fashioned oats. Since I am allergic to cocoa I use the white chocolate instead. I also cut the sugar way down as the dried cranberries and shredded coconut add sweetness too. Since most of the other paddling treats are loaded with sugar, I try to keep these not so sweet.
1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Combine butter and sugars in a bowl (use a mixer or your canoe muscles that you have worked on ALL SEASON!)
3. Beat in the eggs and vanilla.
4. Add the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, walnuts, coconut, cranberries. (I like to coat the add-ins: walnuts, cranberries, chocolate chips especially with flour)
5. Fold in the oats.
6. There is no grease required for the cookie sheet. Drop rounded tablespoonfuls about 1/2" apart.
7. Bake 8-10 minutes or until golden.
8. LET THE COOKIES COOL BEFORE YOU REMOVE THEM FROM THE COOKIE SHEET!! They will crumble if you remove them too soon.
This recipe makes at least 3 dozen and they are freezable. If you want to make a sheet for bar cookies, bake 30-35 minutes in a 13"x 9" metal baking pan.
Serving Size: 1 Cookie
Carbs: More than Enough
Fiber: You Bet!
Fat: You're Gorgeous, Have Another!
I hope your off season is lovely and please feel free to send me any of your race recipes! Stay tuned for more off season entertainment! See you on the river (or the trail)!